- 2023 End of Year Fundraiser CampaignAfter more than 15 years of operation, Rickey Henderson Field is the best it has ever been. Each year, the field provides “a place to play” in an urban setting for many hundreds of young players, including at-risk youth in the local community.
As the 2023 year draws to a close, we find ourselves in need of funds for three specific major projects:
–RHF Backfield and Batting Cage Lights
–Renovation of the double bullpen mound in the backfield
–Renovation of the home plate area bleachers
Please consider helping us with these critical projects to help keep Rickey Henderson Field and Oakland Field of Dreams a valuable resource for so many Oakland youth…Continued
- Oakland Heritage Alliance – Partners in Preservation AwardThe Board of Directors of Oakland Heritage Alliance is delighted to confirm that The Rickey Henderson Field is the recipient of a 2023 Partners In Preservation Award in the category of Stewardship. The award ceremony took place at the Oakland Scottish Rite Center at 1547 Lakeside Drive, on Sunday, October 15, 2023…Continued
The Oakland Field of Dreams, a tax-exempt California nonprofit public benefit corporation under 501(c)(3), was established in April, 2009 to help:
- maintain and improve Oakland Technical High School’s new home baseball field, Rickey Henderson Field,
- support Tech baseball/softball and surrounding neighborhood youth sports programs (including at-risk youth) and
- revive Oakland’s longstanding tradition of inner-city youth baseball and softball
Rickey Henderson Field was built in 2007-2008 (as the former Carter Field) by Oakland Tech parents and community members through an extraordinary grassroots, volunteer effort. Approximately $350,000 in cash and in-kind donations were raised, along with ‘sweat equity’—countless hours of grueling, hands-on field work by scores of dedicated volunteers of all ages, including Tech ballplayers. It’s not only the new home baseball field for the Oakland Tech Bulldogs, it’s also an invaluable asset for local youth leagues, including North Oakland/South Oakland Little League, Oakland Cal Ripken-Babe Ruth Baseball League, the Metropolitan Junior Baseball Team and American Legion Baseball.
Tech’s ‘Field of Dreams’ is now a reality and still a work in progress. In addition to ongoing maintenance and repair, a wish-list of planned improvements and enhancements include:
- Adjoining girls’ softball field — (moved to Emerson campus … coming Summer 2017 ??)
- New Small Batting cage — (Coming Summer 2016 ??)
- Additional bleachers
- Public address system
- Large foul ball screens & netting — (new netting may be coming Summer 2016 ??)
If you’d like to help OFOD make these dreams a reality, please click on the ‘DONATE’ button above. For additional details on OFOD’s incredible story, click on the ‘OUR STORY’ menu option above.